Sunday, September 27, 2009

Punkin Heads

Here is the long ago promised pumpkin hat pattern.

I decided to try my hand at pattern writing because I couldn't find a pattern I liked for a pumpkin hat. Below is what I came up with. Remember, this is my first attempt at pattern writing, and I am still pretty new to crocheting. Use this pattern as it is written or use it as a jumping off point for your own ideas. I hope you have as much fun with it as I did!
I used Red Heart Super Saver Yarn. For the Lucy size I used a J hook (6.0mm) and for Freddy's I used an H hook (5.0mm). If you want it to be bigger use a bigger hook or add more increasing rounds; smaller hat, smaller hook or less increasing rounds. You will also need a stitch marker [I used a safety pin for a marker because that is what I had within reaching distance of my spot on the couch. :) ]

STEM:
With green chain(ch) 20. [For the baby sizes I think I chained 12, play with it until you find the size you like]
In 3rd chain from hook, do 2 double half crochet(dhc).
Do 3 dhc in each chain to the end.
Finish off.

HAT:
Round 1: Ch 2, 4 single crochet(sc) in 2nd ch from hook, do not join, do not turn.
Round 2: 2 sc in next 3 sc, 1 sc in last sc, place stitch marker 7sc
Round 3: 2 sc in each sc 14sc
Round 4: {sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc} repeat 21sc
Round 5: {sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc} repeat 28sc
Round 6: {sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc} repeat 35sc
Round 7: {sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc} repeat 42sc
Round 8: {sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc} repeat 49sc
Round 9: {sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc} repeat 56sc
Round 10: sc in each sc around, continue until hat measures approx. 8" 56sc
Last Round: {sc in next 6 sc, decrease} repeat 49sc
Finish off.

TRIM:
Girl:
Turn hat inside out and hold it with crown away from you.
Join green with a slip stitch, ch 2, double crochet(dc) in same stitch as join, ch 2, 2 dc, {skip 2 sc, 2 dc in next sc} repeat around. [You might need to only do one set of dc at the end of the round.] Join with first 2 chains. Finish off.
Boy: Leave hat right side out. Join green with a slipstitch, and slip stitch all the way around. Join with first slip stitch. Finish off.

If you have any questions or correction let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment