Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A New Place to Play

Today I wrote my first crochet pattern and it made me realize that I needed a place to store things like that, so here we are. Now I can store and share what we make without boring the uninterested parties who visit my other blog. :)

This blog will focus on the many many many crafts my kids and I (try) to do. There will be a little bit of everything: kids crafts, crochet, knitting, tie dying, pottery, cooking, hooking, Lucy (and soon Freddy) painting... Who knows what we will come up with next.

For this first post I will share the pictures from this weekend's tie dying. (I will post that crochet pattern as soon as I can get a picture of my model wearing it.) I am really glad we took the time last week to experiment and figure out what works and what doesn't. The shirts from this batch came out great!






These are all of my shirts from this round.







A couple of tips that we have learned: the more patience you have the better your shirt will come out; don't rinse your shirt for at least 24 hours after dying it; before washing your shirt soak it in apple cider vinegar for 20 minutes or so; use color catcher sheets (made by Shout, sold in the laundry detergent aisle) the first time you wash them; if you are doing lots of different colors like we did sort your stuff and soak/wash similar colors together.


























I love this pumpkin shirt! The idea for it came from Family Fun Magazine. I get tons of great ideas from every issue. A lot of the stuff in it is for kids who are older than mine but we are getting there.















My family is going to look so good this Halloween!

















This one feels a little Superman-ish. I hope Freddy and Lucy don't look back on pictures of this and hate me for making them wear all of this stuff.













Freddy is going to be the coolest kid around with the hundred and one tie dyes I did for him. :)

This all got started because I bought a bag full of white onesies for him at a yard sale. A few of them had small stains and I thought "hey we could tie dye these!" And here I am three dye sessions later, staying up too late to blog about crafts. ;)









This one is a craft to do a craft with. It is a piece of muslin, any ideas on what to do with it now that it looks so pretty?

3 comments:

  1. Ooohh, so colorful! Those pumpkins came out so cool. And that muslin looks really pretty. Your techniques are awesome. Our tie-dye shirts came out better than any I ever made before. Cool blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that we all care about your cool craft projects!!!! I LOVE the pumpkin ones! Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could use your colorful muslin to make reusable gift bags.

    ReplyDelete